This morning started off with a bang. Well, not literally, but close. Our missions team to Mexico boarded our plane only to find out 45 minutes later that our radio transmitter is broken and either needs to be repaired OR we will have to board another plane. Either way, we will most likely miss our connecting flight. We’ll see. 😬
On the upside of things, I have the great privilege of going to Mexico with 14 outstanding individuals- one of which is my daughter, Hannah. The last time she was on an airplane she was 10 months old. And this is her first international experience and missions trip. We are all kinds of excited over here! I have literally dreamed of taking our children on missions trips since before they were born. My various experiences on short term missions trips have had such a profound impact on my life: learning about other cultures, stepping out of my comfort zone to share the Gospel, doing things I would never do at home, deepening relationships with people from our home church as we share a cross cultural experience, worshiping God in a different language, etc. I want my kids to see that God is not an American God. He is active and present throughout the entire world. His Son, Jesus Christ, came to be a savior for ALL people of every nation, language and skin color. I want them to see real need and understand how much we have both been entrusted with and have excess of . I want them to get a glimpse of God’s purpose for their lives- which somehow seems to gain clarity when one is removed from the distractions of our American materialism. I want them to see that this life is not about them- it is about Jesus Christ and living to be useful to Him in whatever vocations or contexts He gives us.
- this trip would have a profound impact on their lives
- we would have hearts to see the physical and spiritual needs of others and a quickness to serve
- we would bond tightly as a team- laugh, cry and be authentic with one another
- we would be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and respond to His promptings
- we would have safe travels and logistics for our disrupted flights would be worked out
- we would have great personal times in the Word and as a team
- our families with be protected from harm, illness and attack in our absence
Thank you so much for your prayers- they are the greatest blessing to us as a team!! Stay tuned for more updates here through the week.